October 26, 2015

Welcome to the world Baby Jett!

Jett Trevor Bybee joined the world on August 22nd, 2015 at 12:42 pm after a somewhat long labor, but very short delivery. Here is the birth story for journaling purposes:
I had been feeling "ready" to have the baby for a couple weeks. I felt like he was going to be early based on the number of contractions I had been having. So I went in on Thursday the 20th for an appointment and my doctor checked me and I was dilated to a 2, but she said that my water was so close to breaking that she wouldn't be surprised if it burst "on the elevator" as I was leaving the office. So I went home and began to prepare. I had a lot of contractions that day and felt like I may be starting labor, but I went through and day and night without anything that felt significant. The next day, Friday, I went to my friend Linsey's house and she tried to convince me to do some Zumba with her in hopes that it would start labor. I was too nervous that my water would break on her carpet (haha!) so I watched her workout while I enjoyed a nice pesto sandwich. The contractions started around that time and continued throughout the day. By about 7:00 that night the contractions were consistently three minutes apart, though they weren't very painful. We decided to go in to get it checked so we had Linsey come over to watch the kids while Trevor drove me to the hospital.
At the hospital they put me in a room and monitored the contractions. They weren't progressing very fast so they told me to go walk for an hour up and down the halls, which Trevor and I did at a fast pace, and that REALLY got the contractions going...while I was walking. But as soon as they started monitoring me again, the contractions slowed a bit. I dilated from a 3 to a 4 but they didn't think that was progress enough so they sent me home. We got home around midnight and sent Linsey home to get some rest. The contractions started to get really strong again and really close together, so around 2 or so we ran back to the hospital thinking this was it. I had dilated from a 4 to a 5, but again the contractions were inconsistent so they asked me if I wanted a sleeping pill and sent me home...AGAIN. (Are you KIDDING ME? Who wants a sleeping pill when they think they might be in labor? Is a sleeping pill going to stop the pain of these freaking contractions??!! Needless to say, I declined the sleeping pill) So we get home around 5 am, and once AGAIN, send poor Linsey home to rest, and this is when I propped myself on the recliner and told myself that no matter HOW much pain I was in, I was not making that drive to the hospital unless I KNEW this baby was on his way. 
The contractions got BAD after that. I totally respect all you natural-birth mommy's that can put yourselves into a happy place and overcome the pain. Because no matter how much breathing, self-talk, and ocean waves I tried to conjure up, all I could think of was the excruciating pain and the increasing intensity of the contractions. By 7:00 am I was literally on the floor screaming, believing that this baby was going to kill me. Trevor took Averie and Pax into our bedroom in the back of the house in hopes that they wouldn't hear me because it was quite literally like a scene from The Walking Dead, what with the screaming and rolling around on the floor. Averie at one point snuck out to see what was going on, and upon seeing me put her hands up to her mouth and started giggling. Didn't go over well with crazy, about-to-die-from-pain mommy. Back to the room she went. 
Around this time, it was getting closer to 9, and I literally thought the baby might fall out of me. Trevor told me we were going to the hospital and threw the kids in the back of our car and I barely made it there myself. We dropped the kids of at Linsey's house (seriously, that poor girl) and drove as safely and slowly (haha) to the hospital as we could. Once we got there, Trevor dropped me off at the entrance and I hobbled to the elevator and went up to Labor and Delivery (I think they missed me) on the second floor. As I got off the elevator I could barely walk, so a nice male nurse ran over and got me in a wheel chair. I'm pretty sure they also felt the baby might fall out of me because they rushed me right to labor and delivery and immediately checked me and I was dilated to an 8. I begged for drugs (seriously, at this point all I could think of was how bad I wanted that big ole' needle right in the spine) but they had to draw blood first, and because I had been in labor for so long at this point and hadn't had any fluids, my veins were being difficult. Finally they got the blood drawn and ran it to the lab for testing (I guess they have to do this BEFORE they can get the epidural going). In the meantime they got me in a room and my doctor showed up within about ten minutes. She was SO mad that they had sent me home the night before, and told me that at this point it might be too late for the epidural.  I could hear her whispering to the nurse while she was standing there looking at the screen that showed the contractions and saying it might be go time. Right about then, the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural, which was a little difficult because I was having so many strong contractions while she was doing it. Once they got the epidural in, I was FULL of love for everyone around me. 
My friend Lindsay Whiting (different Lindsay) who is a photographer showed up to do our birth photography and as she was standing there talking to me, I started to feel a little dizzy, and I remember having a REALLY hard time making sense of what I was trying to say. Turns out I passed out a couple times after that, and I remember waking up to nurses all around me waving alcohol swabs under my nose and injecting me with something to help my quickly dropping blood pressure. (77/44!) Trevor said I went so white I looked dead, and even my lips turned blue. Eek! Luckily that got under control and I was so tired by this point I decided to try to sleep. I fell asleep for about twenty minutes and though I felt quite a bit of pressure, I didn't think it was enough that I needed to push yet. The nurse came in to check me around 12:30 or so, and she ran to get the doctor because the baby's head was crowning and he was coming out! The Dr came in and gowned up and told me to push once, which I did. She said, "No really, you literally only need one big push and this baby will be out!" So I did one other big push, and Baby Jett entered the world, at 12:42 pm. 
He was just so beautiful and perfect! He weighed 6lbs11oz, was 19 inches long, and healthy as can be! I can't describe the emotion I felt as he entered this world. I couldn't stop crying, and neither could Trevor. He was our little boy, and knowing that Heavenly Father blessed us with such a beautiful baby is an incredible thing. Here are some pictures of the birth (nothing graphic people, you're safe!)
























No comments: